Picture this: you introduce new software to your company. People are excited. It will enhance everyone's work. But then, something goes wrong.
Employees have problems logging in. The tool is hard to synchronize with the existing software. Some features are difficult to use, and people need guidance. You spend plenty of time helping employees with the new software. Then, you realize you need a tutorial for everyone to share.
Some companies use Scribe to create step-by-step instructions, manage tasks and document standard operating procedures. But, since the tool has limited customizations and is expensive, many look for Scribe alternatives.
We prepared a list of the five best Scribe alternatives and competitors to help you find the best tool for process documentation. Let’s dive in!
5 best Scribe alternatives & competitors to check out
Below are the best tools for creating step-by-step documentation we've found. They can save you a ton of time and transform your enterprise processes.
MagicHow is a software application for creating step-by-step guides with a browser (Chrome, Firefox, Edge and Safari) and a desktop version. It's intuitive and easy to use.
After you start the in-app screen recorder, MagicHow will record the process you go through and, using artificial intelligence, split it into logical steps.
You can then customize your screenshots by:
- Blurring sensitive data
- Adding logos
- Changing fonts and colors
The platform also allows you to add step titles and descriptions or replace and merge the slides.
When your guide or SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) is ready, you can share it in multiple ways:
- Provide a link
- Save it as a PDF
- Copy it as HTML or Markdown
- Embed the manual in Notion, Confluence, Zendesk, Webflow and other tools
- AI-powered process documentation: Save time when AI identifies and captures steps in a process for you
- Screenshot annotation and editing: Clarify or emphasize important information by highlighting specific elements within the screenshot
- Desktop application: Create training manuals for any tool on any device
- Easy sharing: Export documents in many formats to share them with team members or clients
- Starter: a free set of core features for the basic tasks, including capturing at any browser and sharing by link
- Advanced: $4.50 per seat monthly, including branded guides and customizable screenshots
- Business: $11.70 per seat monthly, including capturing at desktop and unlimited workflows
Process Street is an AI-driven process management platform. It helps companies create various workflows like client onboarding, employee onboarding and tenant screening.
The platform has many user-friendly features, like a drag-and-drop editor for creating procedures. You can add rich media, such as images and attachments, to your workflows and tasks. The tool even has a video file upload option.
- Role-based access: Various access options for different user roles like admin, member or guest
- Notification system: Keeps team members up-to-date with all information on workflow processes
- Conditional logic functionality: Enables you to create easy-to-follow, transparent processes
- Integration with multiple apps like Google Sheets, Gmail, Slack, Salesforce and Zapier
- Startup: $100 monthly for unlimited workflows and pages, five members and ten guests
- Pro: $415 monthly, including up to 12,500 data record sets and brand colors
- Enterprise: $1,660 monthly, including enterprise grid for Slack and workflow setup and integration services
See also: Process Street alternatives
Tango is a process documentation software solution that automatically creates how-to guides by capturing your screen and workflow processes. With the Tango Chrome extension, you will easily create process documentation like product guides, training guides, knowledge bases, how-to playbooks, help center articles and more.
Tango simplifies knowledge transfer and helps your team, users or customers use new tools and work better.
The tool integrates with third-party apps like Slack, Notion, Microsoft Word, Google Docs, Dropbox and Zendesk.
- User-friendly interface
- Customization: Users can highlight important information using an arrow, circle, rectangle or text. They can use a freehand pen to draw anything they want. Cropping and resizing images is also possible.
- Secure blur: The tool identifies sensitive information in screenshots during capture and blurs it.
- Streamlined sharing: It allows you to share interactive walkthroughs easily.
- Free: for up to 25 workflows, includes browser capture and basic export and sharing
- Pro: $16 per user monthly, includes browser plus desktop capture and unlimited workflows
- Enterprise: custom pricing, includes admin analytics dashboard and automatically blurs sensitive information during capture
See also: Tango alternative options
FlowShare is a user-friendly Windows-based platform that works in the background to automatically capture your workflow and transform it into a step-by-step guide for your staff.
IT departments, HR professionals and customer success teams can use FlowShare to explain technical processes, introduce new software products, onboard employees or provide customer support. The tool integrates with Confluence, Guru, Synthesia, KnowHow, Wordpress and Avendoo.
- Automatic documentation: FlowShare documents every step in a process you go through and creates interactive instructions to guide new users or customers.
- Customizable steps: Delete individual steps or enrich existing instructions by adding new ones.
- Corporate branding: Create brand templates with your logo, fonts and colors so that every guide you export has custom branding.
- Bulk blur sensitive information: Choose an area to blur, and the tool will automatically identify that element in every step it appears and blur it for you.
- Express: $21 monthly per workspace, allows to capture and share unlimited guides
- Professional: $32-40 monthly per workspace, including custom branding and templates
- Enterprise: custom pricing, includes custom integration and additional languages
Trainual is a process documentation cloud-based software that allows growing teams to create a playbook of their workflows. It facilitates onboarding and training and ensures more consistent processes.
The tool provides hundreds of customizable templates for documenting processes and policies. Rather than automatically generating how-to guides, Trainual empowers users to create their own.
The platform integrates with tools like Asana, Basecamp, Google Docs, Loom, Quickbooks and Zapier.
- User-friendly interface: Even non-technical team members can create and update training
- AI writing feature: Speed up the documentation of your business processes
- Customization: Customize the look of your content by adding your logo, company colors, fonts and other brand styles
- Dynamic org charts: Create an up-to-date visual representation of your organization’s structure
- Small Business: $250 per month for organizations with 1-50 employees
- Growth Business: $600 monthly for organizations with 51-250 employees
- Unlimited: custom pricing for access to all features with unlimited users
Scribe alternatives & competitors: Comparison table
Scribe alternatives & competitors: Selection criteria
How do you decide which of the top Scribe alternatives is the best? Here's a list of criteria that should help you choose:
- Ease of use: Since Scribe is easy to use and does not require any programming knowledge, its alternatives should be similarly user-friendly.
- Customization options: A good Scribe alternative should offer customization options like the ability to redact texts or crop screenshots. Scribe offers those functionalities only in the Pro version, which is quite expensive.
- Compatibility: We focused on alternatives that offer many integration options so that you can find a Scribe alternative that is compatible with the other tools you use.
- Pricing: Scribe's free version is strongly limited. Upgrading to the Pro plan costs $23 per user monthly and still lacks functionalities like underlining text, using bold or italics or editing screenshots easily. So, the best Scribe alternative should offer better value for money.
Hopefully, after analyzing the Scribehow alternatives and their features, you can find a solution that suits your business best and will help you provide job-specific training.
If you want a user-friendly tool with plenty of customization options, choose MagicHow. This SOP software is affordable and compatible with third-party apps like Notion, Confluence and Zendesk. Apart from a browser extension, it has a handy desktop version.
Sign up for the free plan to create procedures and boost your team's productivity. If you like it, you can upgrade to the pocket-friendly Advanced plan anytime.